Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Home study - personal interviews

The next two meetings with our social worker were the individual interviews. We decided that I would go first, and J sat in on it as well. Later, we switched and it was J's turn to be in the hot seat.

From the piles of paperwork that we filled out, our social worker discussed anything that she felt needed more clarification. She also asked more questions about my childhood, my relationships with family and in-laws, and my marriage.

It's always interesting to look back on events in childhood, and to talk about events that shape who you are. I said that the most important moment in my life was when I was chosen to represent my school at a youth leadership weekend by a guidance counselor in grade 10.

I'm not sure how he chose me. I'd love to be able to sift through old school records to read comments about what teachers had to say about me. In the end, I really think that leadership weekend was a defining moment.

After that weekend, I felt like I wasn't just some high school kid from small town Ontario. No - I could make a difference and make our community a better place. Looking back, I am proud at the things that I have accomplished. It was just the little push I needed to become more involved in my community. In a country where we are so blessed to have comforts in life, there are still so many that struggle and go without. 

I would love to instill all of this in my child. They would understand that while they have all the comforts of life, that there are others less fortunate.

I have a friend from work who has an adorable daughter. Any time she receives any money (from birthdays, Christmas, etc) a portion goes into her bank account, another portion she is allowed to keep to spend, and the final portion goes to a charity of her choice.

When the tsunami hit in 2004, I was collecting money for the Red Cross and she came in to give me $20 from her charity fund. She was so happy knowing her money was going to help people who really needed it. I definitely would like to do this with my children because I think it's a good lesson in saving and philanthropy!